Labels

Sunday, September 19, 2010

"Head Start" or "Seventeen Concrete Things" - A Poem Alone


Over the city’s waste management system
immortal autumn leaves burn and fly.
Below the tracks where the metal mammoth throbs,
reek rises, rot spools around the graffitied viaduct.
I am unmoved by decay.

The empty lot is just ahead, the dirt
ground of childhood stickball never played. 
Green awnings remain on the house,
as sentimental as poverty.
This is where I was raised.

One streetlight glows and sings a
magnetic, comfortable humm.  When
I return to my suburban home I know that
there are halogen bulbs burning
for no one who’s there.  For certain
there is bread and cheese, whole wheat
and guerre.  My heavy gut aches.

The boys on the stoop don’t call
me Leche Blanca or seniorina anymore. 
They eye me, suspicious of my shoes.
The girls wonder whose baby I’m expecting
to remove.  The old men at the tavern nod.
Cigarettes ash in plastic, tin, glass.
In some lined pockets of humanity
a new zygote swims, building like religion. 

The many textures of death, like ichors,
engulf me.  My death will come late
and medicated.  The boys
looking at my shoes will be lucky
to turn twenty.  What youthful mother,
a figure on her lap, finds
splintered compensation for the pangs of birth
and the uncertainty of setting forth?

There used to be more.  In the generation
between the men at the tavern
and the boys on the stoop. 
Some things were unsplintered.
Thirty years (and more than years)
have slinked past since
the warehouse was headquarters.
Deep in the dark loathsome city
our childhood foundations were
built on seventeen concrete things.
At five, the Panthers taught us
phonics, fed us breakfast.  We learned reform,
rebellion in certain terms.  Militant kindness and love
for the sake of it bred like disease. Our leaders
deserted the neighborhood, hunted for their skins.

The gangs came.  We moved. 
I was privileged and I moved on.
But I go back to the stone and dirt and
hateful love like a vice because
I know these children are built of
stone, but they’re built on sand;
low-rent property is
ideology, not geography.  It is found
in the sterilized sunshine of
an uncommitted purse, rising with the
eternal morning of capitalism and God.

I falter, confused.  I am an undesirable conundrum. 
The was no romance in our poverty. I remember
the concrete; I can still smell
basic arithmetic and bacon; I
rhythm while I write: pancakes and
Power, hashbrowns and values.
Today my shoes cost too much, and my
house is too big, and I have success
in excess.  And the boys
on the stoop eye me, and the girls
suspect, and the old men nod.

Outside I am white and my clean
hands are futile. The rising sun smells antiseptic.
Embracing it, heat caresses me,
soldering my limber spine.

No comments:

Post a Comment